- A foreign-based affiliate that is a separately incorporated entity under the host country's law. The New York Times Financial Glossary
* * *▪ I. subsidiary sub‧sid‧i‧a‧ry 1 [səbˈsɪdiəri ǁ -dieri] noun subsidiaries PLURALFORM [countable]a company that is at least half-owned by another company:
• It is important that investors are able to deal with confidence with enterprises from other member states, whether directly, or through their subsidiaries.subsidiary of
• Chase Manhattan Bank is a subsidiary of Chase Manhattan Corp.ˌpartly-owned subˈsidiarya company that is partly owned by another company, and also has other owners:
• The company has sold 28 partly-owned subsidiaries.ˈsales subˌsidiarya company that is owned by a larger company and sells its products:
• Honda is setting up a sales subsidiary in Ukraine.ˌwholly-owned subˈsidiarya company that is completely owned by another company:
• A parent company in the UK will be legally responsible for the debts of its wholly-owned subsidiaries.connected with, but less important than, something:subsidiary to
• The issue of responsibility is subsidiary to the pressing need to compensate victims.
* * *A company of which more than 50 percent of its voting stock is owned by the parent company.
* * *Ⅰ.subsidiary UK US /səbˈsɪdiəri/ US /səbˈsɪdieri/ noun [C] (plural subsidiaries) (also subsidiary company) FINANCE► a company that is controlled by another: »
a banking/foreign subsidiary»
a majority-owned/wholly owned subsidiarysubsidiary of sth »
California First Bank is a 77%-owned subsidiary of Bank of Tokyo.→ See also PARTLY-OWNED SUBSIDIARY(Cf. ↑partly-owned subsidiary), SALES SUBSIDIARY(Cf. ↑sales subsidiary), WHOLLY-OWNED SUBSIDIARY(Cf. ↑wholly-owned subsidiary)Ⅱ.subsidiary UK US /səbˈsɪdiəri/ US /səbˈsɪdieri/ adjective► FINANCE owned or controlled by another company: a subsidiary bank/business/outlet »
The company yesterday said its strategy is to grow subsidiary businesses for future sale.► used to describe something less important than something else, with which it is connected: »
Psychometric tests used at interview are not always accurate and only provide subsidiary information.subsidiary to sth »
The group wants the protocol to be subsidiary to the WTO.
Financial and business terms. 2012.